Search Box

Friday, November 27, 2009

Donna's Green Bean Casserole

I got the assignment to bring that good ole green bean casserole to a recent potluck at church, so I just couldn't resist making it my own. My variation is still very very easy. Here's what I did to gussy it up a bit -- and everyone loved it! I also have a link to the original recipe and another variation for it. Let me know how you like it.


Donna's Twist on the Green Bean Casserole

Frozen green beans (about a 16oz pkg.) (or fresh, last choice would be canned)
1 jar of alfredo sauce with mushrooms (or make your own)
Bacon, about 4 pieces crumbled (or bacon bits) (little chunks of ham are great in this too!)
Onions (raw or sauteed or those traditional French's french-fried onions)
1-3 teaspons of your favorite seasoning mix (such as Emeril's, or herbs de provence, or cajun, or whatever flavor you like.  I know it sounds weird to be so general about this, but the idea is just to spice it up a little bit, but not overpoweringly)
(I put some inside the casserole and save some for garnish)

Mix all together and put in a casserole dish (I used a 9x13 rectangular pan, but a casserole dish would work fine). Bake at 350 degrees for about half an hour. Garnish the top around the perimeter, in a ring, with more of those french-fried onions. (See the website referenced above for another variation, including a different way to do the garnish)

Delish!

No comments: